TweetDeck is a dashboard that allows users to personalise their Twitter experience by viewing tweets in multiple columns. You can organise tweets in Lists or Collections, or add a column for a specific hashtag you wish to follow.
- A List is an editable group of Twitter users. Each list is given a name and an optional description. Lists may be private or public (and viewable to all).
For example: https://twitter.com/suebecks/lists/vcs-who-tweet
You might choose to create a group based on shared interests, a specific topic, co-workers, your family, news sites, sport on other hobbies. The choice is yours!
- A Collection is an editable group of Tweets hand-selected by a Twitter user. Each Collection is given a name and an optional description. Collections are public and viewable by all. Each Collection has its own URL allowing it to be easily shared. Collections also have an embed code so that they can be added to blogs or websites as a list of tweets or as a grid.
For example: https://twitter.com/suebecks/timelines/757554419399528448
This example is a collection of tweets relating to a forthcoming conference. You may choose to create a Collection based on an interest, a specific conversation or event, or any other topic you choose. New tweets can be added to the collection or deleted.
The Collection viewed as a grid
The Collection viewed as a timeline list
#SocMedHE16 – Curated tweets by suebecks
How to create Lists and Collections
TweetDeck allows you to manage your lists easily in one centralised place.
To create a list on TweetDeck:
- From the navigation bar, click on the plus icon to select Add column, then click on Lists.
- Click the Create list button.
- Select the Twitter account you would like to create the list for.
- Name the list and give it a description then select if you would like the list to be publicly visible or not (other users can subscribe to your public lists).
- Click Save.
- Add suggested accounts or search for users to add members to your list, then click Done.
To edit a list on TweetDeck:
- Click on Lists, from the plus icon in the navigation bar.
- Select the list you would like to edit.
- Click Edit.
- Add or remove list members or click Edit Details to change the list name, description, or account. You can also click Delete list.
- When you’re finished making changes, click Done.
To designate a list to a column:
- Click on the plus icon to select Add column.
- Click on the Lists option from the menu.
- Select which list you would like to make into a column.
- Click Add Column.
With collections, you can organise Tweets according to topics, events, interests, conversations, and more, all in real-time. Add your collections as columns, and Tweet the URL to share it with others.
To create a collection on TweetDeck:
- From the navigation bar, click on the plus icon to select Add column.
Tip: You can also use the keyboard shortcut A, to add a new column to your dashboard.
- Select Collections from the menu options.
- To start a new timeline select Create collection.
- Type in a title for your collection, and add a description (optional).
To add or remove Tweets from your collection:
- Find a Tweet you would like to add to your collection and select the more icon
- From the drop-down menu, select Add to collection.
Note: You can also hover your cursor over your selected Tweets, then click the drag icon to add Tweets to your collection.
- Click the checkbox next to the collection(s) you’d like to add the Tweet to, then click Done.
- Newly added Tweets will appear at the top of the collection column.
- To reorder Tweets in your collection, click the drag icon and move the selected Tweet up or down in your collection.
Note: You can also copy a Tweet from one collection to another by holding down the drag icon and moving the desired Tweet to another collection column.
- To remove a Tweet, simply click on the X icon on a Tweet within in a collection.
To share your collection:
- Click the filter icon at the top of your collection to access the column’s options menu.
- Click the share icon, then choose between: Embed collection, View on twitter.com, or Tweet about this timeline.
Pingback: How to: organize your Twitter activity | teaching knowledge and creativity
How do I see and manage already-existing collections? Is there a limit on the total number of collections?
Go to your profile image in the top bar and click to reveal a drop down menu which includes lists. From here you can edit, add or remove members of a list. I’m not aware of a limitation on the number of lists you can have.