Erik Qualman first produced the Socialnomics Social Media Revolution video showcasing the power of social media and mobile in 2009. Above is the 7th iteration and just released this month October 2016.
“World of Mouth for Social Good”
The video is based on a book written by Erik called Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business. The book looks at the effects and implications of social media on our daily lives, and how businesses can harness its power to increase sales.
The Social Media Revolution videos (updated year on year) demonstrate the exponential growth of social media and highlight key data in relation to usage. It begins with
“We don’t have a choice on whether we do social media.
The choice is how well we do it.”
The key thought provoking statements in the video are:
- Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30 years old
- Today’s college students have never licked a postage stamp
- 53% of millenials would rather lose their sense of smell than their technology
- Social Media = Relationships
- The return on investment (ROI) of social media is that your business will still exist in 5 years
- 93% of buying decisions are influenced by social media
- What happen in Vegas stays on YouTube
- By 2018 video will account for over two thirds of mobile usage
- Shrinking attention spans – goldfish = 8 seconds himans = 7 seconds
- More people own a mobile device than a toothbrush
- One in three mariages start online
- The fastest growing demographic on Twitter is Grandparents
- Every second two people join LinkedIn
- LinkedIn age limit has been lowered to 13
- Word of Mouth >> World of Mouth
To add to this the Smart Insights infographic portrays what happens in 60 seconds on the Internet. The three tiers demonstrate the growth of social media over the last 3 years. What was originally considered a fad by many is not looking to be going out of favour for some time yet. It is therefore important that we understand how we can use social media for own benefit and that of others.