Social Media for LearningThe aim of this blog is to help you explore the different ways you can interact online using social media and the tools to help you do this.
Introducing Social MediaSo what is social media you might ask? Social Media is an umbrella term for web based and mobile technology that allows the user to produce and share information with others using text and/or media (video, audio, images), who in turn are then able to engage in a interactive dialogue about the content.
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENCE
Social Media Blog by Sue Beckingham is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- advanced search audio AudioBoo Blogger Blogs Chrome conference copyright Creative Commons Creative Commons licenses Delicious Design Diigo Education emoticons Entertainment Erik Qualman Facebook flickr Gmail Google+ Google Alerts Google Drive Google Hangouts on Air GoogleMaps Google Scholar GoogleStreetView hashtag Identity theft images infographics jargon Kickstarter lifewide learning LinkedIn Lists logo Mari Smith MySpace Netvibes networking Online Communities online presence online reputation Pageflakes passwords pedagogy Phishing photos professional RSS safety security SEO shortcuts Slideshare social business social media revolution Social network Social Networking Socialnomics social presence StreetView Symbaloo tagging tips Tumblr Tweet Chat Twitter video Vine Wikimedia Foundation Wikipedia WordPress YouTube
- Good practice tips for professional social media profiles
- Social media etiquette – some useful reminders
- 10 Ways to use Twitter in Teaching
- Take a look at using Diigo the social bookmarking tool you can access anywhere
- Tips on Using Twitter for Conferences and Events: Ideas for Organisers and Participants
Tag Archives: hashtag
Image source: Flickr Definition: The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages. People use the hashtag symbol # before a … Continue reading
A hashtag is a word or a phrase prefixed with the symbol #. They have been used for some time by Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Chris Messina was the first to introduce them to Twitter. Searching for a hashtag will bring together … Continue reading
Aside from the Twitter web page, there are a number of different ways you can view tweets. Two of my favourites are: curating tweets to produce a digital style newspaper and showcasing tweets as a back channel that can be … Continue reading
The use of a # hashtag (US pound sign) was introduced by Chris Messina in 2007 as a way to group tweet conversations. Little did he know then how much they would go on to be used!