Social Media for LearningThe aim of this blog is to help you explore the different ways you can interact online using social media and the tools to help you do this.
Introducing Social MediaSo what is social media you might ask? Social Media is an umbrella term for web based and mobile technology that allows the user to produce and share information with others using text and/or media (video, audio, images), who in turn are then able to engage in a interactive dialogue about the content.
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENCE
Social Media Blog by Sue Beckingham is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Follow Social Media for Learning on WordPress.com
- #SocMedHE15 advanced search audio AudioBoo Blogger Blogs Chrome conference copyright Creative Commons Creative Commons licenses Delicious Design Diigo Education Entertainment Erik Qualman Facebook flickr Gmail Google+ Google Drive Google Hangouts on Air GoogleMaps Google Scholar GoogleStreetView hashtag Identity theft images infographics jargon Kickstarter lifewide learning LinkedIn Lists logo Mari Smith MySpace Netvibes networking Online Communities online presence online reputation Pageflakes passwords pedagogy Periscope Phishing photos professional RSS safety security SEO shortcuts Slideshare social business social media revolution Social network Social Networking Socialnomics social presence StreetView Symbaloo tagging tips Tumblr Tweet Chat Twitter video Vine Wikimedia Foundation Wikipedia WordPress YouTube
- 8 key steps to building a personal learning network inspired by @hrheingold
- The four dimensional conference: using social media at conferences
- The ultimate LinkedIn cheat sheet! How to enhance your profile.
- Using Storify as a curation tool to build digital narratives
- Experiences of social media in higher education: barriers enablers and next steps #SocMedHE15
Category Archives: Twitter
Below is a blog post written by Prof Simon Lancaster and myself in preparation for the Higher Education Academy STEM Conference. I am sharing it here as many of the points raised are of value to anyone attending a conference. … Continue reading
Who are you? Choosing who to follow My positive engagement with Twitter has a direct correlation with those I am following. I have always said Twitter is only as good as the people you choose to follow. Muireann O’Keeffe reminded … Continue reading
Twitter uses have been able to save or bookmark tweets as favourites for a long time. As with many digital applications there are always ways to appropriate functions designed to do one thing for another purpose. The star symbol was the icon to … Continue reading
Last week Twitter announced that they were rolling out a new poll option that you can use within a Tweet. Users will be able to create their own two-choice poll right directly from the Tweet compose box and it will remain … Continue reading
Tweeting and brevity go hand in hand. With just 140 characters it is important that our tweeted messages are succinct, make sense, and are engaging. There are a number of pointers that can help to increase engagement.
Social CPD Social Media at its best is interactive and sparks dialogue, discussion, debate, questions and the opportunity for social learning with others. Of course it can also be useful to both broadcast useful information and be the conduit … Continue reading
Who are you Tweeting to? This is an important question to consider. It may be that you have just started Tweeting and deciding who you think might be interesting to follow. As you become more confident it is likely that … Continue reading
The useful infographic below was created by TeachThought and the University of Southern California (with permission to re-use). Thanks Anne Hole for tweeting this. The infographic looks at two important ways to use Twitter: a) in the classroom and b) … Continue reading
What is it? Periscope is a live streaming app that lets you share and experience live video from your mobile phone. When connected to Twitter, Periscope users can allow other users to see links tweeted in order to view the live-stream. … Continue reading
The slide deck above was created by Bonnie Zink a fellow social media enthusiast and Hootsuite Ambassador. I first connected with Bonnie about 3 years ago when participating in the weekly #HSUchat (a tweetchat exploring the use of social media … Continue reading